Sunday, May 15, 2011

Allen West A Cup Of MODERN "TEA"

Today’s Insights will break from our normal form of program. There will be no video of yours truly, I am just a bit worn out, and thus the energy for a good show is not there. However, I’ve wanted to talk about Allen West of Florida for a few days, so now’s the opportunity to do so.

Mr. West. Some might consider him a true War Hero, others would call him the worst our country’s military has to offer. I would contend what he did while in Iraq ultimately saved lives, and that’s what matters! But, that is not what this post is about. You can read about his past here and why winning his first election to Congress was nothing short of a miracle.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Mr. West a number of times while back in Washington, and I find him to be a very personable man. Oftentimes, he’s pragmatic and deliberate in his thinking. I admit, when I first met him, I had this preconceived notion that he was the “crazy leader” of the TEA Party, and one of its most prized candidates. That is not to say TEA party members are crazy, far from it, but normally they have large amounts of energy, and speak their mind freely. The concept of being reserved, pragmatic and willing to work with Democrats for solutions was not your typical TEA Party slogan.

So, why the rambling about Allen West? Clearly, I’m in Nevada, he’s in Florida, why should I care. Simple answer: my gut feeling was right, and I hope more of his fellow “TEA Party Freshman” get the memo! Recently, Allen West came out in a statement against the nickel and dime votes that the house keeps taking on “Obamacare.” It was not that West suddenly discovered he was a supporter of the project, but rather, he decided that it was time the House stop wasting its time on legislation that would go to the Senate and die because Harry Reid would never bring it up to the floor to a vote.

It is amazing to me how so many people forget basic High School government! I know it was a mandatory class when I was in school, one we had to take our senior year. Maybe that’s the reason no one remembers – no one cared! Still, we all should understand that, it does not matter what is passed in the House if it cannot get out of the Senate, let alone up for a vote. So Allen West is RIGHT, we need to stop wasting our time. There are so many other issues facing our nation that need to be addressed, that we can not continue to spend our time in the Majority pushing through legislation that does not stand a prayer.

I am beginning to ask the same questions as many Americans - where is Jobs Legislation? What are you going for the housing crisis? We have seen the majority of Republicans do everything they can to avoid actually addressing the issues. Now, I can argue, and will, that by doing nothing, they are doing more than Obama and Pelosi did by trying to help. A wise man once said, when the Government gets out of the way we will be better off, I could not agree more!

So, Allen West, I say this from the Cheap Seats in Las Vegas, Thank You for not being just another crazy, clueless Freshman!